DID YOU KNOW?
- The Greater Swiss Mountain Dog is a relatively new AKC breed, fully recognized in 1995.
- Greater Swiss Mountain Dog Club of America formed in 1968 with the express purpose of obtaining AKC recognition.
- The Greater Swiss is one of four types of Sennenhund breeds developed in Switzerland as a herding, guard, and utilitarian draft dog.
- The Greater Swiss breed was resuscitated in the early 1900’s by famous dog expert, Dr. Albert Heim of Zurich.
- The Greater Swiss is the AKC’s 137th breed.
- The Greater Swiss Mountain Dog was introduced in the United States when J. Frederick and Patricia Hoffman saw the breed at a show in Frankfurt, Germany, in 1967. The following year the Hoffmans, along with Perrin G. Rademacher, imported the first Swissy into this country.